Living in Mallorca Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living in Mallorca Forum

Living in Mallorca - my home of choice, is it yours?

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» The Ups and Downs of Purchasing a Property
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2022 11:33 pm by Ambl3r

» Greetings Mallorca
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 pm by neilmccauley17

» Spain Local Guide Wanted
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 am by bensh2

» Looking For Long Term Rental April - October 2013
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 am by Admin

» Love Spain now becomes Love Mallorca
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 7:32 am by Admin

» Love Mallorca Forum?
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:58 pm by Admin

» Lack of Mallorca Forums
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 am by Admin

» Return to Mallorca
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 5:14 am by Admin

» "Che" Guevara
One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 am by Admin

Facebook Living in Mallorca
Favourite Links
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Living in Mallorca Forum on your social bookmarking website
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Visits

One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma Empty
PostSubject: One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma   One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:06 pm

PALMA
ONE of the world’s largest military supply ships, the U.S. TAKR 311 Sisler is currently moored in the Bay of Palma and she is due to remain in Majorcan waters until the begining of next month.

The USNS Sisler is one of American Military Sealift Command’s nineteen Large, Medium-Speed Roll-on/Roll-off Ships and is part of the 42 ships in the Prepositioning Program.

Large, Medium-speed, Roll-on/Roll-off Ships, or LMSRs, can carry an entire U.S. Army Task Force, including 58 tanks, 48 other track vehicles, plus more than 900 trucks and other wheeled vehicles.

The ship carries vehicles and equipment to support humanitarian missions, as well as combat missions.

EIGHT FOOTBALL PITCHES
The new construction vessels have a cargo carrying capacity of more than 380'000 square feet, equivalent to almost eight football pitches.
In addition, LMSRs have a slewing stern ramp and a removable ramp, which services two side ports making it easy to drive vehicles on and off the ship.
Interior ramps between decks ease traffic flow once cargo is loaded aboard ship. Two 110-ton single pedestal twin cranes make it possible to load and unload cargo where shore-side infrastructure is limited or nonexistent.

A commercial helicopter deck was added for emergency daytime landing.
The 29'000 ton USNS Sisler was christened in 1998 and is named after U.S. Army First Lieutenant George “Ken” Sisler, a posthumous recipient of the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions in Vietnam in 1967.

Sisler was also decorated with the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star during his military career.
Over recent years, US naval supply ships have become regular visitors to Majorca with the Western Mediterranean being a key strategic positioning point for supplies and military equipment for USforces operating in and around the Gulf and the Middle East.

By Humphrey Carter
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovespainforum.com

One of the world’s largest military supply ships in Palma
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living in Mallorca Forum :: LOVE SPAIN FORUMS :: Spanish News :: Balearics-
Jump to: