Living in Mallorca Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living in Mallorca Forum

Living in Mallorca - my home of choice, is it yours?

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» The Ups and Downs of Purchasing a Property
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2022 11:33 pm by Ambl3r

» Greetings Mallorca
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 pm by neilmccauley17

» Spain Local Guide Wanted
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 am by bensh2

» Looking For Long Term Rental April - October 2013
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 am by Admin

» Love Spain now becomes Love Mallorca
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 7:32 am by Admin

» Love Mallorca Forum?
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:58 pm by Admin

» Lack of Mallorca Forums
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 am by Admin

» Return to Mallorca
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 5:14 am by Admin

» "Che" Guevara
Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 am by Admin

Facebook Living in Mallorca
Favourite Links
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Living in Mallorca Forum on your social bookmarking website
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Visits

Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze Empty
PostSubject: Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze   Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 pm

PALMA
THE Balearic government last week tried to play down this summer’s rise in balcony fall deaths and injuries by claiming that, considering the vast number of visitors who come here every year, some accidents “were inevitable”.

However, the fact that at least four young people, including a British teenager have died this summer and three tourists are currently recovering from falls in local hospitals, one is believed to be in a coma, has attracted the interest of the foreign media, especially in Germany, France and the UK.

In the space of just 12 hours on Sunday, three tourists plummeted from hotel and apartment balconies and one is a 20-year-old Briton who is in a critical condition.

THREEFOLD RISE OF CASES
According to emergency service sources, the number of balcony-related injuries has increased threefold this year and there are calls from the emergency services and the hotel sector for some kind of action to be taken because this year, “balconing” has become a craze with many of the “jumpers” then posting their potentially life threatening feats on YouTube, such as the one we have taken stills of. In the video you can see and hear his friends cheering him on up on the balcony and then giving him a rousing round of applause as he hits the water - fortunately safely in this case but just a few feet away from the concrete terrace of startled fellow holiday makers.

But, the burning question is what can be done to stop this growing craze.
Drugs and alcohol are often involved and hoteliers can not be expected to “police” their guests.
OBVIOUSLY NOT A GOOD IDEA “It’s been shown that when all these cases happened, they were the result of people having consumed too much alcohol or other substances,” said Sebastián Darder from a hotel managers association.

The practice is not new, but in the words of one hotel receptionist, “this year looks like a plague”. “Can’t these people see that it is obviously not a sensible idea to throw yourself off a balcony,” he added.
Some hotels have tried to curb the craze by putting up screens to block potential leaping points.
Other hotel managers said they employ a zero tolerance approach to the stunts. “We are involved in a campaign against loutishness, which is supported by the tourist authorities,” Joan Espinosa, from a Majorca hoteliers’ association, said. Apparently some hotels are kicking their guests out if caught balconing because it also poses a threat to fellow guests.

By Humphrey Carter
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovespainforum.com

Authorities and hotel sector warn tourists over jump craze
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living in Mallorca Forum :: LOVE SPAIN FORUMS :: Spanish News :: Balearics-
Jump to: