Living in Mallorca Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living in Mallorca Forum

Living in Mallorca - my home of choice, is it yours?

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» The Ups and Downs of Purchasing a Property
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2022 11:33 pm by Ambl3r

» Greetings Mallorca
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 pm by neilmccauley17

» Spain Local Guide Wanted
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 am by bensh2

» Looking For Long Term Rental April - October 2013
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 am by Admin

» Love Spain now becomes Love Mallorca
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 7:32 am by Admin

» Love Mallorca Forum?
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:58 pm by Admin

» Lack of Mallorca Forums
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 am by Admin

» Return to Mallorca
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 5:14 am by Admin

» "Che" Guevara
Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 am by Admin

Facebook Living in Mallorca
Favourite Links
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Living in Mallorca Forum on your social bookmarking website
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Visits

Rodrigo

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hughmac
hughmac

Rodrigo Empty
PostSubject: Rodrigo   Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 am

My favourite piece of Spanish music is Rodrigo's 'Concierto de Aranjuez'. I listen to it often, but the best time is on the plane heading for Spain. It really puts me in the holiday mood and turns on the Spanish mentality in me.
I would follow this up with Falla's 'El sombrero de tres picos' and Rodrigo's Fantasia para un gentilhombre'.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Rodrigo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodrigo   Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 pm

I will have to listen to them. I believe I have heard 'El sombrero de tres picos' but I have not heard the other.

I have absolutely loads of differing types of Spanish music. Mainly downloaded from a certain site when it was up and running!

I don't know if you ever saw the series "Flight Over Spain" which I believe was on TV in the 80's. The music that played along with that was brilliant but I can't remember what it was called which is a shame because I would love to have that piece.

I don't like any particular style it's mainly dependent on mood and can listen to opera, flamenco, (especially guitar pieces), pop or easy listening.

The best piece I heard was an off the cuff flamenco piece performed by our friends in a bar late at night when they all joined in accompanied by no music - just the clapping and tapping of table tops. Just one of those times that remains a special memory.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovespainforum.com
hughmac
hughmac

Rodrigo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodrigo   Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm

I think 'The Tree-cornered Hat' may actually be an opera. It has various sections such as 'The Miller's Dance' and 'The Neighbours Dance'. I remember seeing it on TV many year's ago. I also have a variable taste in Spanish and Latin American music.

Away back, I once gave the words of 'she'll be coming round the mountains when she comes' (impolite version) to two young Spanish couriers for their coach party singalongs. In return I received the words of 'Guantanamera' and 'La Bamba'. You can guess how long ago that was, as I think they were in the charts at the time!

I do indeed remember the 'Flight over Spain' series. I've tried often to find the videos on the internet, but to no avail. Unfortunately, at that time, I didn't have a video recorder. Like you, I have been unable to identify the sound track from the series, but the music often comes back into my head. Also, like you, I love the sound of the flamenco guitar. At the moment I'm listening to a classical guitar piece by Francisco Tarrega calle 'Recuerdo de la Alhambra', played by Ernesto Bitetti. Very smooth and soothing. John Williams is another favourite of mine.

Your experience with friends reminds me of similar circumstances, but the music was not flamenco. It was local folksongs of Cantabria and the Basque areas. Even to this day I can still recall most of the words of these songs. On another evening, the barowner and his son-in-law became so engrossed in their guitar playing, that everyone had to serve their own drinks and throw the money in the till! Again, there was the time when the local 'gestapo' threw us out of the bar, just for having a sing-song! This was still in the Franco era and these guys were in black uniforms and wearing dark glasses....at 3.am.! Or there was the time when the bar had no windows (it was being modernised) and the owner locked the door when he left,..... but the place was wide open. Tables and chairs were also left out on the pavement all night long. He then came with us to another bar.
Those were the days!!!!
Back to top Go down
hughmac
hughmac

Rodrigo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodrigo   Rodrigo I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Here is John Williams playing 'Concierto de Aranjuez'. Hope you approve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbNV9AwFFc8&p=4F4848EFA5821B22&playnext=1&index=39
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rodrigo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodrigo   Rodrigo I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rodrigo
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living in Mallorca Forum :: LOVE SPAIN FORUMS :: Music-
Jump to: